Senior executives at Sony Pictures Entertainment have been implicated Blake Lively i Justin Baldonithe legal battle
In unsealed court documents obtained by Us Weekly on Tuesday, January 20, internal emails from executives at the movie studio they created End With Us show various opinions about Lively and the controversy surrounding the film.
In an email dated August 21, 2024, Sony’s president Sanford Panitch asked why Lively’s Blake Brown line was released at the same time as the film’s release.
“Selling hair at the same time was stupid on an epic level,” he allegedly wrote in court documents. “She doesn’t want to listen. She knows better.”
Multiple reports previously claimed that Lively’s Blake Brown line was set with Target months in advance and could not be changed. The film was originally supposed to be released months earlier, but was pushed back.
Panitch also apparently referenced the drama with Lively and Baldoni when he allegedly wrote, “She did it for herself. If she just let him come to the premiere or didn’t have the whole cast unfollow him or leave the movie and did what everyone in show business has done for time and memorial, which is to protect ‘the show,’ nothing would have happened.”
Us Weekly has reached out to Sony for comment on the unsealed court documents.
As Lively’s legal battle with Baldoni continues, read on to learn more about Panitch and other Sony executives involved in the case:
Who is Sanford Panitch?

Sanford Panitch
Day Dipasupil/Getty ImagesSanford Panitch joined Sony in 2016 and was named co-chairman of the motion picture group with Josh Greenstein in October 2019.
He has overseen major studio franchises such as Spider-Man, Jumanji i poison.
In July 2025, variety reported that Greenstein was leaving his role to join Paramount. Panitch would continue as president of Sony’s Motion Picture Group.
What did Sanford Panitch say about Blake Lively’s ‘It Ends With Us’ drama?
In addition to questioning the timing of Blake Lively’s hair care line, Sanford Panitch predicted that drama with End With Us would affect the film career of the actress.
“It’s quite ironic because he has a blockbuster movie targeting over $300 million,” Panitch wrote in court filings. “And it will probably never work again, or not for a while.”
When another executive pushed back and predicted the backlash would die down, Panitch responded, “No. I don’t agree. It’s over. At least for a while. It’s cooked.”
What did other Sony execs say about Blake Lively’s ‘It Ends With Us’ drama?

Blake Lively and Justin Baldoni
Nicole Rivelli / Sony Pictures / Courtesy Everett CollectionCourt documents revealed alleged text messages between Blake Lively and the Sony executive Angel Giannetti on August 11, 2024, days later End With Us was released
“Blake 50 million dollars!! Your blood sweat tears heart and soul shining in every frame,” Giannetti wrote as he celebrated the box office numbers. “Oh my god. This is amazing. Thank you 50m times and it’s only Saturday night.”
In a separate statement, Sony Motion Picture Group Chairman Josh Greenstein said he believed End With Us edit Lively worked was “a stronger cut”.
“All he cared about was greatness,” Greenstein allegedly said. “I was incredibly impressed that, especially seeing everything she was doing in terms of cutting the film and marketing the film, that she, her creativity, took a good campaign and elevated it.”
In August 2024, Chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures Entertainment Toni Vinciquerra he said The Hollywood Reporter that the company wants to “make 12 more movies with (Lively.)”
“Blake, Colleen (Hoover) and so many women put so much effort into this remarkable film, working selflessly from the beginning to make sure such an important issue is handled with care,” she said. “Audiences love the film. Blake’s passion and commitment to advancing the conversation about domestic violence is commendable.”
Other executives, however, wish Lively had handled things differently.
On August 11, 2024, Tahra GrantSony’s executive vice president and director of communications allegedly wrote, “She orchestrated this whole drama in a totally unintelligent and amateurish way (and basically threatened … Sony) and now she’s pissed that it backfired on her.”
What does Justin Baldoni’s team think of Sony’s messages?
In a statement to people on January 21, 2026, attorney for Justin Baldoni Bryan Freedman expressed confidence that Sony’s various messages are not helping Lively’s case.
“As has been said over time, and reflected in our clients’ motions, as well as in Sony’s messages discussing Ms. Lively’s behaviors, the evidence does not support the claims as a matter of law,” Freedman shared. “A simple reading of the recently released message exchanges makes the truth abundantly clear. We remain confident in the legal process and clearing the names of all parties to Justin Baldoni.”
What does Blake Lively’s team think of Sony’s messages?
Blake Lively’s legal team believes several messages from Sony executives show that Gossip Girl alum played a major role in the film’s success.
“Documents show that the Sony/Lively cut was chosen for release and was an unprecedented success, earning more than $80 million in its opening weekend and more than $351 million at the worldwide box office.” Sigrid McCawleysaid a member of Lively’s legal team we. “The evidence shows that Ms. Lively worked closely with author Colleen Hoover on the cut. Sony supported this cut, Ms. Hoover expressed her preference for this cut, Wayfarer approved it, and the book’s most devoted fans reacted to the Sony/Lively cut with tremendous enthusiasm at Ms. Hoover’s multi-hundred-million-dollar Book Bonanza and Sony.”


