Almost four years after a tragic shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, left 19 children and two teachers dead, former policeman Adrian Gonzalez he is on trial to determine if he is guilty of failing to act to save their lives.
On Friday, Jan. 16, it was revealed in court that the 18-year-old shooter was able to fire 117 rounds before Gonzales, 52, a former Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District officer, breached the school. A total of 173 rounds were reportedly fired during the mass shooting. The shooter was eventually killed by a team of US Border Patrol agents more than an hour after the shooting began.
In his testimony, Texas Ranger Nick Hill argued that Gonzales had little more than a minute between the time he parked his car and when the shooter entered the school, he said. ABC News.
Recounting the events minute by minute, Hill claimed Gonzales parked his vehicle at 11:31 a.m. and called in the active shooter report within 30 seconds of arriving at 11:32 a.m. The shooter allegedly entered the school building at 11:32:59, and was inside the classroom at 2:33 p.m.
Gonzales reportedly did not enter the school until 11:35 and 48 seconds.
According to the indictment, the former officer is charged with 29 counts of child abandonment or endangerment and is accused of failing to “engage, distract or delay the shooter” in accordance with standard active shooter training.
Jury selection for the case began on January 5, with opening statements and testimony in the high-profile trial beginning the next day.
On Wednesday, January 14, Melody Floreswho previously served as a teacher’s aide at Robb Elementary School, gave her own emotional testimony in which she alleged that she had asked Gonzales for help, but he allegedly “stayed at it.”
“I told him that he (the shooter) had to be stopped before he entered the quarter building,” she said in court Wednesday.
When fiscal Bill Turner asked her about Gonzales’ response, she alleged he said “just, nothing.”
She continued: “Like I said, that’s when I ran to see if everyone was at (the school) and I found a place (to hide).”
When asked how many times she urged Gonzales to come into the school and “do something” about the situation, Flores said she asked him for help two or three times.
However, Gonzales’ legal team argued that other officers arrived at the scene around the same time as Gonzales. They believe the situation was indicative of local police failure on a much larger scale than the actions of one man.
“These precious souls were stolen by a monster that day, but that monster was not Adrian (Gonzales),” Gonzales’ defense attorney. Nico LaHoodhe told the ABC affiliate KSAT in San Antonio “He was there, he was present. He was in danger. So the government’s narrative is something we’re going to contest a lot, and that’s going to be the point of contention before this jury.”
Gonzales pleaded not guilty to all charges. He faces a possible maximum sentence of 58 years behind bars if convicted.



