Johan Adaree-Sanchez was shot shortly after leaving the high school on Thursday, January 8th. The 17-year-old died tragically in a nearby hospital that same day. While the investigation into the teenager’s death and the search for his killer continues, his girlfriend, Dona Medinaclaims the shooting was a result of bullying.
“Right now, I’m heartbroken and I’m going through something that I thought would never happen,” said Medina, who spoke Spanish and was translated by her cousin. Natalia Lopezhe said, for CBS Chicago. “Yesterday, after school, they were just going to catch the bus like they usually do, but when they were there at the bus stop, there was this group of kids waiting for him.”
Medina alleged that Adaree-Sanchez ran away, but when he tried to follow him he heard a gunshot. Lopez explained in his translation that the first shot went “right into his chest,” and when Medina tried to approach him, he was shot again in the ankle.
“She tried to talk him out of it. She tried to do everything she could to save him,” Lopez continued. “When he tried, he saw that he was pale and not breathing.”
After the death of Adare-Sanchez, his godfather, July moondescribed the teenager as a “really humble kid” who wanted to join the military one day.
“He didn’t really like bothering people because he didn’t want that,” Luna shared, according to WGN9. “He was a child… It’s hard to lose a 17-year-old whose life is just beginning.”
He also pleaded with anyone with information about the possible shooter or shooters to come forward to police.
“If you know this person, you could save someone else’s life. Justice needs to be served. We want justice to be served the right way,” he said.
J. Sterling Morton East High School also released a statement Thursday Facebook confirming that they are “actively working with the Cicero Police Department as part of the ongoing investigation” and that a “crisis team” would be available for students and staff members who need support following the horrific incident.
“We are aware that there are many reports circulating on social media that are inaccurate. We ask that everyone refrain from sharing unverified information at this time and rely only on official updates,” the statement said. “Thank you for your continued support as we work together to care for our school community during this difficult time.”
Earlier this week, a GoFundMe was set up to help pay for the teenager’s funeral expenses.
“Johan was just a teenager – a young life full of dreams, hopes and a future that was violently taken away yesterday when he was murdered by another teenager, allegedly involved in gang activity,” the fundraiser summary read. “This was not just an act of violence, it was a failure to protect our youth and to intervene before it was too late.”
The summary continued: “Johan mattered. He was a son. He was a student. He was a young man who wanted to move forward in life. We ask the community to stand by this family during this devastating time. Any donation, no matter how small, is a way to show compassion, support and solidarity. We will not remain silent. We will not normalize this violence. And we will never leave Johan’s name behind.
The GoFundMe has received just over $11,000 at press time.



