A former MMA fighter has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in connection with the death of his 5-year-old daughter.
On Friday, January 23, Robert Buskey Jr. admitted in court that she acted with “depraved indifference to human life” and reckless behavior that caused her son’s death, according to the Daily Voice, a local news source in Schenectady.
The incident occurred in April 2024, when emergency services responded to a call about an unresponsive child. Shortly after first responders arrived, the girl, Charlotte, was pronounced dead at the scene. Her body was emaciated and severely dehydrated, and an autopsy revealed that she had no food in her body when she was discovered.
Robert Carneywho serves as Schenectady County District Attorney, said in a statement that Charlotte had been “buried in her bedroom” until she died of dehydration and starvation.
Further investigation revealed the home, which was described as a “house of horrors,” was in horrific condition, according to the Schenectady County District Attorney’s Office. Authorities later determined that Charlotte and her 3-year-old brother had been effectively cut off from the world, receiving no contact with friends or family, no medical care, and no school.
Carney added: “Her world was reduced to the confines of Mr Buskey’s deplorable house.”
The girl was also apparently prevented from entering the rest of the house for the most part as Buskey, 35, had a lock on the outside of her bedroom door which was reinforced with duct tape. Instead of a bed, the 5-year-old had only been given a Pack ‘n Play to sleep in, which was so small she had to crawl to fit inside.
“That’s where Charlotte spent her last days, abandoned and locked in her room by her father. She had no food, no water, no contact with anyone, in a Pack ‘n Play, there to die,” Carney added.
Along with the second-degree murder charge, Buskey also pleaded guilty to giving her 3-year-old son cocaine. Both children tested positive for the drug.
He is expected to receive a 25-year prison sentence for his crimes.
“The resolution of this case rightly grants this defendant the maximum sentence permitted by law for the murder of his daughter.” Christina Tremante-Pelhamthe Schenectady County District Attorney’s Office homicide bureau chief said at the time. “And spare the members of the Schenectady Police Department, the Schenectady Fire Department and the District Attorney’s Office from having to relive the horror of what they saw in that home and the condition of this little girl who suffered such a horrible death at the hands of her father.”
If you or someone you know is experiencing child abuse, call or text Helpline for children at 1-800-422-4453.
If you know of a young person who is being exploited or who is the victim of a crime, please report it to your local FBI office by calling 1-800-CALL-FBI. Tips can also be left here.



