Lindsey Vonn he’s not letting anything, not even a catastrophic injury, stand in the way of his miraculous return to the 2026 Winter Olympics.
“Well … I completely tore my ACL last Friday,” Vonn, 41, shared via Instagram on Tuesday, February 3. “I also suffered a bone bruise (which is a common injury when you tear your ACL), as well as meniscal tears, but it’s not clear how much of that was pre-existing and what was new from the accident.”
He continued: “Obviously, this was incredibly difficult news to receive a week before the Olympics. I’m very grateful that everyone gave me time and space to process what happened and find a way forward.”
of something airlifted off course following a crash during his World Cup race in Crans-Montana, Switzerland on Friday 30 January.
“After extensive consultations with doctors, intensive therapy, physical testing and skiing today, I have determined that I am capable of competing in the Olympic downhill on Sunday,” Vonn said. “Of course, I will still have to do a training run, as is necessary for the race on Sunday, but … I am confident in my body’s ability to perform. Despite my injuries, my knee is stable, I have no swelling and my muscles are firing and responding as they should.”
He added: “Obviously I’ll continue to assess with my medical team on a daily basis to make sure we’re making smart decisions, but I have every intention of competing on Sunday.”
Vonn announced her return to the sport in November 2024 after nearly six years in retirement, aiming to compete at the 2026 Winter Olympics in Milan and Cortina d’Ampezzo, Italy.
“I know what my chances were at these Olympics before this accident, and while my chances aren’t the same now, there’s still a chance,” Vonn wrote Tuesday. “And as long as I have a chance, I won’t lose hope. I won’t give up! It’s not over yet!”
She concluded her post: “Thank you to everyone who has reached out and supported me. I feel the love and it’s giving me strength. 🙏🏻💪🏻🇺🇸.”
The 2026 Winter Olympics begin on Wednesday 4 February, ahead of the opening ceremony on Friday 6 February.
Vonn’s first event is scheduled to be the women’s downhill on Sunday, February 8.
After last week’s accident, Vonn took to social media to provide an update on the “very difficult result”.
“My Olympic dream is not over,” she shared via Instagram on Friday. “Thank you for all the love and support. I will share more information when I have it. Thank you to all the medical staff who helped me today. I am grateful for all the amazing help I have received.”
Just days before the accident in Switzerland, Vonn credited her team of doctors, surgeons and physical therapists for making it possible for her to return to the sport.
“Everyone put a lot of time and equity into this comeback, which was never intended to be a comeback in the first place,” he said. today program on January 26. “To be honest, I can’t believe I’m here, but without everyone supporting me, I definitely wouldn’t be here.”

