An Indiana man has been arrested in the slaying of a 34-year-old California resident who was found in a “pool of blood” in his San Diego home more than 50 years ago, police say.
With the help of forensic genetic genealogy technology, the San Diego Police Department announced on Thursday, January 22 that the mystery of by Edmund LaFave 1975 murder it has been resolved
Forensic evidence has linked to 71 years Johnny Salisburyof Syracuse, until LaFave’s death, according to police.
Information on Salisbury’s legal representation was not immediately available.
The case dates back to Feb. 25, 1975, when San Diego officers found LaFave’s body in his bedroom, police said.
LaFave had been stabbed repeatedly and “severely beaten,” according to police.
“Despite a thorough investigation at the beginning of the case, it eventually went cold,” police said in the statement.
According to police, investigators had repeatedly revisited the case without success, until the recent breakthrough.
After the case was broken, authorities said Salisbury was arrested on a homicide charge in North Webster, Indiana, on Wednesday, January 21.
He was booked into the state’s Kosciusko County Jail, where he is awaiting an extradition hearing, police said.
Authorities have not shared what may have preceded LaFave’s murder, as Salisbury’s potential motive was not specified.
The San Diego Police Department’s Cold Case Team has led the city’s cold case investigations since 1995, when the team was established.
In California, rewards may be offered to obtain information that will help law enforcement secure an arrest or conviction in an open case, as part of the Governor’s Unsolved Crime Reward Program. The program was created by the state legislature.
If a California law enforcement official recommends a reward, Gov Gavin Newsom can offer up to $50,000 related to help bolster an unsolved crime case, according to the state.
According to Newsom’s office, the governor can also offer up to $100,000 “for tips on crimes against first responders or fires at a place of worship.”
On December 22, Newsom announced that three people were receiving $50,000 for sharing tips that helped solve the 1982 problem. cold case murder 14 years old By Anna Lynn Johnson in Solano County.
Information shared by the three individuals led to the conviction of Marvin Markle in the teenager’s murder, according to a news release shared by Newsom’s office.
“The assassination of By Anna Lynn Johnsona young student from Vacaville, shook our entire community,” Solano County District Attorney Krishna Abrams he said in a statement.
“I am especially grateful to the citizens who were willing to come forward as they helped bring closure to De Anna Lynn’s loved ones after more than 40 years,” Abrams added.
Markle was sentenced to life in prison on a charge of first-degree murder for the girl’s death.
Two $50,000 rewards are currently available for information leading to the 2009 slaying of a 16-year-old boy. Antonio Nunezand the murder of a 28-year-old man Arthur Jordan in 2018, according to the governor’s office.
The San Diego Police Department encourages anyone with information about LaFave’s murder to call the agency’s Homicide Unit at (619) 531-2293 or Crime Stoppers at (888) 580-8477.



