US withdrawing all 1,000 troops from Syria: WSJ reports | Syria’s war news


US officials expect troops to withdraw from the remaining positions within two months, the report said.

The United States is preparing to withdraw about 1,000 troops remaining in Syria, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing three US officials.

Al Jazeera could not independently verify the report on Wednesday.

Recommended stories

3 List of itemsEnd of list

Last week, the US military confirmed They were withdrawing From the al-Tanf base in southern Syria near the border between Iraq and Jordan.

The base served as a major hub for operations by the global coalition against ISIL (ISIS), which controlled large parts of Syria and Iraq until it suffered serious losses in 2017.

US Central Command (CENTCOM) said last week’s “orderly departure” was “part of a deliberate and situation-based transition”.

Meanwhile, the Wall Street Journal has indicated that there will be a massive withdrawal of US forces from Syria within the next two months. President Donald Trump’s administration has been weighing a full withdrawal since at least January.

According to officials cited in the Wall Street Journal, the decision to withdraw troops from Syria is unrelated to the current build-up of US naval and air forces elsewhere in the Middle East, as tensions with Iran escalate.

In recent weeks, the Trump administration has threatened military action against Iran in response to its crackdown on anti-government protesters and ongoing frustrations. Nuclear negotiations.

As part of those threats, the US has increased its military presence in the region near Iran. Another aircraft carrier, the USS Gerald R. Ford, is currently en route to the area.

US-brokered agreement

Instead, US officials in the Wall Street Journal report said the withdrawal was in line with an agreement aimed at overhauling Syria’s security structure and strengthening state authority after years of divided control.

Provides contract integration The Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) — Washington’s primary partner in the fight against ISIL — in the Syrian army.

framed by US authorities Agreement As a significant step towards national unity and reconciliation after years of fragmented leadership in Syria.

The arrangement came after Syrian government forces, led by interim president Ahmed al-Shar’a, re-established control over areas left outside Damascus’ control, particularly in the country’s northeast, where the SDF has a foothold.

Government forces then engaged in deadly clashes with the SDF and seized large swathes of Kurdish-held territory, raising fears of a wider conflict.

The US-backed agreement on January 29 created a delicate situation Armistice and paved the way for negotiations leading to the unification of the two armies.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *