A mother has been charged in the death of her 5-year-old son after his body was found in a garbage bag in Perdido Bay, Florida.
The investigation began on Friday, February 6, after a woman, later identified as the suspect’s sister, called police around 9:30 a.m., expressing concern for her nephew’s safety. Details about what the sister told officers or the reason for her fears have not yet been released. At 10:14 a.m., the Escambia County Sheriff’s Office responded to a call about a possible body in the bay. The body was later identified as the 5-year-old boy, who has not been publicly identified.
In the early afternoon, Sheriff Chip Simmons released to video asking the public for their help in locating the mother of the deceased child, Jalynda Smith. Less than two hours later, Simmons confirmed the mother had been arrested and charged with “aggravated manslaughter (homicide).” It is currently unclear how or why Smith, 36, was identified as a suspect in the case.
Investigators later searched his home, but it’s unclear if they found anything they believe is connected to the case.
As for the events that led to the 5-year-old’s death, Simmons said they were still “waiting on the medical examiner’s office for the exact cause.”
“I want to thank everyone who shared information and (viewed) the images we posted which certainly helped us make this quick capture,” he added.
This is not Smith’s first run-in with the police. In 2022, she was charged with “child neglect without great bodily harm” after she allegedly left her toddler alone for a few hours while she was out of the house. The 18-month-old baby was discovered in his crib crying in a dirty diaper put on by a maintenance man who had stopped by to inspect Smith’s apartment that day.
The man explained what had happened in the building’s office and then stayed with the boy until officers arrived at the scene. When Smith returned, she told deputies she had only dropped her son off so she could go to the store. However, his receipt was dated 10:04 that morning, more than two hours before he returned to the residence.
Smith later pleaded “no contest” to the child neglect charge. Instead of going to trial, she was able to take a court-recommended parenting skills course and follow a case plan developed by the Department of Children and Families. The charge was eventually dropped in 2023, according to court records reported by the Pensacola News Journal.
The investigation into the young man’s death is ongoing. As the investigation continues, Smith could still face additional charges as new information comes to light.
She is currently being held without bail.
The sheriff’s office asked that anyone with information call them at (850) 436-9620 or 911. Anonymous tipsters can also share information through CrimeStoppers at 850-433-STOP (7867).
If you or someone you know is experiencing child abuse, call or text Helpline for children at 1-800-422-4453.



