lawyer Larry Stein is maintained Timothy Busfieldinnocence after the actor charged with four counts of child sexual abuse.
“The indictment was not unexpected. As the saying goes, a grand jury will indict a ham sandwich,” Stein said in a statement shared with Us Weekly on Friday, February 6. “What is deeply troubling is that the district attorney chose to proceed with a case that is fundamentally unsound and cannot be proven at trial.”
He added: “The detention hearing exposed fatal weaknesses in the state’s evidence – gaps that no charging decision can cure.”

Melissa Gilbert, wife of director and actor Timothy Busfield, attorney Larry Stein and defense attorney Christopher Allen Dodd look on as defense attorney Amber Fayerberg (L) speaks to the press after her client, director and actor Timothy Busfield, was granted pretrial release by Judge David A. Murphy during a hearing in the Albuquerque County Judicial District Court, Second District, on January 26, 2020. New Mexico
Sam Wasson/Getty ImagesStein said “the prosecution appears to be driven by something other than the facts or the law” before noting that Busfield, 68, will “fight” all charges against him and “expects to try the state’s case in open court, where the evidence is important, not behind closed doors.”
The Bernalillo County District Attorney’s Office confirmed Friday that Busfield had been indicted by a grand jury in New Mexico.
“As with all criminal proceedings, Mr. Busfield is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty in a court of law,” Bernalillo County District Attorney Sam Bregman said in a statement shared via Facebook. “This case will go through the court process and is expected to go to trial.”
The statement concluded, “The Bernalillo County District Office remains committed to doing everything possible to protect children and ensure justice for victims.”
If convicted, Busfield faces up to 15 years in prison.
“The Albuquerque DA’s office takes these types of charges very seriously, as we do all cases. Our job is to hold people accountable and that’s what we do,” Bregman said during a news conference last month. “I have personally tried cases of child abuse and sexual assault and … we hold everyone accountable and they are extremely serious.”
Bregman noted that despite the “great interest” involved in this case, the facts will not be discussed publicly. “My first obligation and the obligation of my office is to ensure the integrity of this process. The rules of professional conduct are clear: prosecutors must try cases in the courtroom and not in the media. And that is what we intend to do.”
Busfield he handed himself over to the police last month after an arrest warrant was issued Busfield has previously been accused of inappropriately touching a child actor on the Fox set The cleaning womana show that aired from 2022 to 2025.

Timothy Busfield looks on before a hearing in Second District Judicial Court at the Bernalillo County Courthouse on January 20, 2026 in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Sam Wasson/Getty ImagesThe alleged incidents occurred between late 2022 and early 2024, according to an Albuquerque Police Department affidavit obtained by us.
“They’re horrible. They’re all lies, and I didn’t do anything to these little kids,” Busfield told TMZ, denying the allegations against him. “I’m going to fight it. I’m going to fight it with a great team, and I’m going to be exonerated. I know I am because this is all so wrong and it’s all a lie.”
Stein also issued a statement after his client’s arrest.
“He did nothing wrong,” the lawyer said. “These allegations are false as found by the independent office’s investigator.”
If you or someone you know is experiencing child abuse, call or text Helpline for children at 1-800-422-4453.


