Dr. Peter Attia issued a lengthy apology afterward recently published files related to the case against a convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein he claimed he chose to stay in New York City for a meeting with the sex trafficker while his wife and son were in the ICU.
“I apologize and regret putting myself in a position where emails, some of them embarrassing, tasteless and indefensible, are now public, and that’s on me,” Attia, 52, wrote in a Monday, February 2nd. statement shared through X after allegedly sending the same message to his team and patients. “I accept this reality and the humiliation that comes with it.”
Attia, the so-called longevity researcher, was criticized on Friday, January 30. after further emails allegedly sent between the late Epstein and influentials, including Attia, were released by the Justice Department. (Epstein death by suicide in 2019 at age 66 while in prison awaiting trial for sex trafficking.)
In a July 12, 2017 email, Attia and Epstein allegedly engaged in a back-and-forth exchange to solidify plans to meet the next morning.
“Can you do before 10am? Tomorrow,” the email purportedly sent from Epstein read. Attia allegedly replied: “Sure. I can come earlier too, if you have a hard stop at 10. Let me know.”
While the exchange might not seem significant to most, Attia previously confessed to leaving his wife, Jilland the infant son to face a health scare without him during that same period of time.
“On Tuesday, July 11, 2017, at 5:45 p.m. to be exact, I had received a call from Jill, my wife,” Attia wrote in her book: Outlive: The Science and Art of Longevitypublished in 2022.
the doctor remembered in his book that his wife called him from the back of an ambulance because their son had “suddenly stopped” and had no heartbeat. The boy was revived using CPR by a nurse, but he was not out of the woods.

Dr. Peter Attia
Day Dipasupil/Getty Images“When Jill called me from the ambulance, I was in New York, in a cab on Fifty-fourth Street, on my way to dinner,” Peter wrote. “After he finished telling me the story, I said, without any emotion, ‘Okay, call me when you get to the hospital, so I can talk to the doctors in the ICU.'”
Eagle-eyed fans noticed that Jill called her husband a day before he allegedly emailed Epstein while in New York to consolidate their meeting.
According to Attia’s book, he remained in New York “busy with my ‘important’ work” for 10 days after his son went into cardiac arrest, and during the four days his wife and son were in the ICU in California.
While Attia did not directly address the alleged connection between his 2017 trip to New York and leaving his wife and son alone, he did deny that he is a person who “participated in, enabled or witnessed criminal activity,” which Peter said is the DOJ’s “purpose” in releasing Epstein’s documents.
“I am not in any of those categories, and there is no evidence to the contrary,” he said in his statement on Monday. “To be clear: 1. I was not involved in any criminal activity. 2. My interactions with Epstein had nothing to do with his sexual abuse or exploitation of anyone. 3. I was never on his plane, never on his island, and never present at any sex party.”
In addition to apparently abandoning her family to befriend Epstein in 2017, Attia’s name was mentioned more than 1,700 times in the latest set of released files.
Attia sought to explain her connection to Epstein in her statement, noting that they met in 2014 through a “prominent women’s health leader while raising funds for scientific research.”
Attia explained that between the summer of 2014 and the spring of 2019, she met with Epstein “about seven or eight times at his home in New York City, regarding research studies and to meet other people that he introduced to me.”
He claimed he “never visited” Epstein’s ranch or island and “never” flew in any of his planes.
“I was not her doctor, although several times I answered general medical questions and recommended other providers,” Attia alleged.
Then he clarified one email exchange between him and Epstein, which was sent in 2015, and did not paint Attia in the best light.
“In June 2015, I sent Epstein an email with the subject line ‘I have a new shipment,'” Attia recalled. “The email contained a photograph of bottles of metformin, a medication I had just received from the pharmacy for my own use. The subject line referred to the image of the medication bottles.”

Jeffrey Epstein.
Florida Department of Law Enforcement via Getty ImagesEpstein allegedly replied with the words “me too” and sent a “photograph of a grown woman.”
Attia confessed: “I responded with crude and tasteless jokes”, admitting that it is now “very embarrassing” to see how she related to Epstein. “I will not defend it. I am ashamed of all this. At the time, I understood this exchange as juvenile, not a reference to anything dark or harmful,” he added.
Attia claimed that in 2018 she learned that Epstein’s 2008 conviction, which she allegedly characterized as “prostitution-related charges,” was “grossly downplayed,” which is when she began to distance herself from the man. (Epstein was convicted in Florida in 2008 of soliciting prostitution of someone under 18.)
“I was incredibly naive to believe him. I confused his social acceptance in the eyes of credulous people with acceptability, and that was a serious error in my judgment,” Attia wrote. “To be clear, I never witnessed any illegal behavior and I never saw anyone who appeared to be underage in their presence.”
She continued: “Nothing in this letter is intended to minimize the harm suffered by the young women who were abused by Epstein. Their trauma is permanent.”
Attia noted that he was “not asking for a pass” from anyone, but claimed roughly 10 years after he sent the emails to Epstein, and being the man he is today, he “wouldn’t write them and wouldn’t associate with Epstein at all.”
“I recognize that my actions and words have consequences for the people I care deeply about, including all of you,” he concluded. “I am sorry for the cost this has caused you and I take responsibility for it.”
If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted, contact them National sexual assault hotline at 1-800-656-HOPE (4673). If you or someone you know is experiencing child abuse, call or text Helpline for children at 1-800-422-4453.





